Friday, November 11, 2011

Contemptor Dread on its way from far far away land!



First and foremost most people seem to hate this model for some reason. I freakin love it, I truly think It is the single best model that Forge World has produced to date. Maybe its the old time Rouge Trader days that are still lingering around in my head, but I truly think Forgeworld and Games Workshop are trying there best to expand and capture the older gamers who started playing this game back in the late 80's and early 90's, as well as get people to play Pre-Heresy games.


This model stands slightly taller than the current tin can dreadnaughts and has a variety of weapon load outs. I opted to purchase a conversion beamer and lascannon for the first go. Why conversion beamer you may ask? Well I honestly have not seen one used or on a table in many years, GW hasn't really had a model since the old Rouge Trader Squats with conversion beamer, and heck its a huge stand back and fire weapon. So why not?


Hopefully once it arrives I will be able to magnitize it so I can purchase the other arms and be able to kit it out as I see fit. I have be watching alot of youtube videos on this and seem to be very easy to do. I have been really into converting my guys and adding magnets so I am not stuck with multiple models with diffrent loadouts and seems to give me more bang for your buck. Especially with the price of the figures this is the best option for anyone playing now a days.


This is the first time I have seen an actual model that is made to be posed coming out of forge world. Most of the FW models are pretty much cut and dry and can't do much on the end of posing or resulpting pieces. The joints are ball and socket and scream to have magnets shoved into them so when the model gets moved on the table you can manpulate the arms and legs. I have seen a fully articulated dreadnaught on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJiuWnl0T8). This seems like a lot more work than I really want to put into it, but its a great conversion. I think I am going to just stick to doing the arms sockets so the arms can move back and forth and the weapons so they can be easily swapped for diffrent versions. To me having a model fully move is just going to cause issues on the table and am opting to just come up with a cool base idea. I have some left over terrain pieces from 3rd ed boxset lying around and think I may be in the right direction.


Once I get the model in I will post some pics of the progess. I truly think this is going to be an awesome and time consuming build so be prepared for some larger updates coming up.


No comments:

Post a Comment